Performance assessment is a constant process through which the rate of achieving the goals are measured. In this measurement, effectiveness of used resources and work processes, product quality and performances are studied. Also other definitions are posed in this field the expression of which could make clear different aspects of performance assessment.as follows:
- The performance evaluation is a process of measurement, evaluation and judge on performance during a certain period.
-The performance evaluation in Organizations usually means the effectiveness of performance assessment activities. The effectiveness of the achievement of the aims and objectives of
The effectiveness and practicality of activities.
- The performance evaluation is to measure performance by comparing the present situation with the desired or ideal based on predetermined indicators which possesses certain properties.
- Generally, the performance evaluation system is a process of measuring and comparing the rates and the ways of obtaining the optimal situation by Specific criteria and attitudes in certain areas and certain indexes and in certain time period to review, correct, and continuously improve.
Despite the multiplicity of definitions in this field, what is remarkable as extract and common feature of all these definitions, is the quantifying process of effectiveness and operation efficiency.
By reviewing the literature, the causes can be divided into three main groups as follows:
- Strategic objective: that includes strategic management and revision of the strategy.
- Communication purposes which contains control current position, show the path of the future, providing feedback and benchmarking of other organizations.
- Goals Motivation: Reward system, including the development and improvement and learning
After raising the importance of a formal performance evaluation, several frameworks and models were offered to help organizations to properly evaluate the performance. Among the most prominent of these models are Balanced Scorecard (BSC), Business Excellence Model (EFQM) and Malcom model.
Organizations, until they are struggling to survive and need participation in national and international arena know that they put the principle of continuous improvement in its agenda. This principle cannot be reached, unless the context to improve performance management is provided.
. Continuously improving the performance of organizations builds an enormous power boost (Synergy), which can support the program Growth and development opportunities for organizational excellence. Governments and organizations and institutions have done much efforts in this case
Without studying and gaining knowledge about the progress in achieving the objectives, identifying the challenges facing the organization, obtaining feedback and the rate of implementation of development strategies and identifying the areas that need serious improvement, continuous improvement will not be possible.
All of the above is not possible without measurement and assessment. We cannot control what we cannot measure and that we cannot control everything that its management would not be possible. The main issue in all organizational analysis is performance the improvement of which requires measurement and therefore it is not conceivable without the performance appraisal system